Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Seattle Public Schools Running Start FormPDF

    Registration for Spring Quarter

    Friday (3/20/2020) - Update from Seattle Colleges

    Current Running Start students do not need a counselor’s signature on their course paperwork for Spring Quarter.  

    Mr. Willis will be available for Spring Quarter sign-ups:

    Thursday (2/6/2020): 9:00am-11:30am and 1:30pm-3:30pm

    Update: Friday (2/7/2020): 9:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-3:30pm cancelled out sick

    Monday (2/10/2020): 9:30am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-3:30pm

    Tuesday (2/11/2020): 8:30am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-3:30pm

    Thursday (2/13/2020): 2:30pm-3:30pm

    Friday (2/14/2020): 9:00am-11:30am and 1:30pm-3:30pm

    Monday (2/24/2020): 9:00am-12:00pm

    Tuesday (2/25/2020): 1:00pm-3:30pm

    Thursday (2/27/2020): 9:00am-12:00pm and 1:00pm-3:30pm

    Friday (2/28/2020): 9:00am-12:00pm and 1:-00pm-3:30pm

    Monday (3/2/2020): 9:00am-12:00pm

    Tuesday (3/3/2020): 1:30pm-3:30pm

    Friday (3/6/2020): 2:00-3:30pm

    No appointment necessary. If parent/guardian will not be attending with you, make sure you have the SPS RS and RS Enrollment Verification Forms signed before coming in. The SPS form is found above. Verification Forms come from your college.

    Registration for Fall Quarter
    Garfield Counselor, Mr. Willis, will be available for drop-ins to sign RS paperwork for the month of May during Advisory Periods. No appointment necessary for a drop-in. Advisory Period dates/times can be found here. His office is located in the Main Office at Garfield HS.

    If you can not come in during an Advisory Period or if coming in after May contact the Counseling Office Secretary, Traci Ikegami, to schedule an appointment. She can be reached at 206.252.2304 or

    If you are new to Seattle Public Schools, make sure you have an assignment to Garfield HS with a Student ID number before making an appointment or coming in. For questions regarding your assignment contact Enrollment at 206.252.0760 or go to the District Enrollment website.

    The last day to have a Garfield Counselor sign your paperwork, for this school year, will be June 20th, 2019. We will open again on September 9th, 2019.

    Garfield Students Registering for Fall Qtr Running Start

    By submitting a contract for Fall Quarter Running Start, you are indicating your intent to enroll at a local community college. With your Fall Quarter Running Start contract, Garfield will cancel any Fall course requests for Garfield High School and put Running Start placeholders on your schedule.

    If you intend to take concurrent yearlong classes at Garfield with Fall quarter Running Start, you must submit a printed copy of your Running Start Fall quarter schedule (with days and times) with your Garfield course requests to the Garfield Registrar’s Office, Room 104. This allows our counselors to create your custom schedule.

    Course Request Work Sheets are available on the Garfield Counseling page and on the Counseling wall in Room 104. You will have your Running Start schedule after you attend the community college Orientation and Registration session. To ensure your seat in Garfield classes, bring in your documents as soon as possible (May/June). The Garfield Registrar’s Office closes at the end of June.

    Applying for Running Start

    • Consult your counselor, teachers and parents/guardians about your readiness for college-level work and the college environment.
    • Arrange to take the Wonderlic assessment test. The test is offered regularly and costs $20.  *This test fee and other Running Start fees may be waived for  students who are enrolled in the Free Lunch Program. Proof of high school enrollment and verification of participation in the Free Lunch Program is required. Contact Nutrition Services at or 206.252.0675 to request a copy of your letter. They will need your Name, Birthdate and SPS ID#.
    • Obtain your test results from the Running Start testing center.
    • Bring  your Compass Test results, Enrollment Verification Form (signed by parent), and the SPS form (signed by parent) to Garfield. Since registration is first-come-first-served, it is a good idea to have an alternate course schedule should your first choice classes be filled.
    • Submit all of your Running Start application materials to the college Running Start office. Meet with the college Running Start advisor/counselor.
    • It is imperative that you consider your Garfield courses and periods as you register for courses at Running Start.  GHS courses are for a full semester, while RS courses are offered on a quarterly basis (Fall, Winter and Spring).  Any conflicts should be avoided!  It is the student's responsibility to address these concerns with their Running Start advisor/counselor.
    *The colleges may require a variety of fees (testing, activity, technology and other fees), in addition to textbook purchases. Textbooks should be purchased prior to the first day of classes and are the responsibility of the student. See your counselor for a Test, Fee Waiver, and Book Loan Program Form.For more information, contact your high school counselor or the Running Start Coordinator at one of the Seattle Colleges.

    Seattle Central College
    North Seattle College
    South Seattle College
    Bellevue College

    • Courses taken spring quarter of your senior year do count towards your graduation requirements.  Since Running Start grades are not official before the graduation ceremony, you must meet your graduation requirements prior to spring quarter to participate in the ceremony.
    • Be aware that it is your responsibility to stay informed.  Visit frequently the Running Start page on the Garfield website or consider getting the Garfield App.
    • You must be classified as an 11th grader by September 1st to participate in Running Start!

    Question regarding Running Start: Please go to the District College Readiness website or e-mail to