Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Running Start FormPDF

    New-All Students Registering for Fall Qtr Running Start
    Registration appointments open the week of April 29th, 2019. Contact Ms. Traci at 206.252.2304 or to set your appointment.

    Garfield Students Registering for Fall Qtr Running Start

    By submitting a contract for Fall Quarter Running Start, you are indicating your intent to enroll at a local community college. With your Fall Quarter Running Start contract, Garfield will cancel any Fall course requests for Garfield High School and put Running Start placeholders on your schedule.

    If you intend to take concurrent yearlong classes at Garfield with Fall quarter Running Start, you must submit a printed copy of your Running Start Fall quarter schedule (with days and times) with your Garfield course requests to the Garfield Registrar’s Office, Room 104. This allows our counselors to create your custom schedule.

    Course Request Work Sheets are available on the Garfield Counseling page and on the Counseling wall in Room 104. You will have your Running Start schedule after you attend the community college Orientation and Registration session. To ensure your seat in Garfield classes, bring in your documents as soon as possible (May/June). The Garfield Registrar’s Office closes at the end of June.

    Applying for Running Start

    • Consult your counselor, teachers and parents/guardians about your readiness for college-level work and the college environment.
    • Arrange to take the Wonderlic assessment test. The test is offered regularly and costs $20.  *This test fee and other Running Start fees may be waived for  students who are enrolled in the Free Lunch Program. Proof of high school enrollment and verification of participation in the Free Lunch Program is required.  See your high school counselor.
    • Obtain your test results from the Running Start testing center.
    • Make an appointment with your Garfield Counselor (Mr. Willis). Bring  your Compass Test results, Enrollment Verification Form (signed by parent), and the SPS form (signed by parent). Since registration is first-come-first-served, it is a good idea to have an alternate course schedule should your first choice classes be filled.
    • Submit all of your Running Start application materials to the college Running Start office. Meet with the college Running Start advisor/counselor.
    • It is imperative that you consider your Garfield courses and periods as you register for courses at Running Start.  GHS courses are for a full semester, while RS courses are offered on a quarterly basis (Fall, Winter and Spring).  Any conflicts should be avoided!  It is the student's responsibility to address these concerns with their Running Start advisor/counselor.
    *The colleges may require a variety of fees (testing, activity, technology and other fees), in addition to textbook purchases. Textbooks should be purchased prior to the first day of classes and are the responsibility of the student. See your counselor for a Test, Fee Waiver, and Book Loan Program Form.For more information, contact your high school counselor or the Running Start Coordinator at one of the Seattle Colleges.

    Seattle Central College

    North Seattle College

    South Seattle College

    • Courses taken spring quarter of your senior year do count towards your graduation requirements.  Since Running Start grades are not official before the graduation ceremony, you must meet your graduation requirements prior to spring quarter to participate in the ceremony.
    • Be aware that it is your responsibility to stay informed.  Sign up for Running Start student text notifications through Remind. Visit the web site to access the Daily Bulletin and look for important dates on the Counseling Office page.
    • You must be classified as an 11th grader by September 1st to participate in Running Start!