Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Physical Education (PE) waivers:

    When and to whom am I supposed to turn in the PE waiver?

    PE waiver forms are available on the Counseling website. Deadline for 1st semester is March 1st. Deadline for 2nd semester is October 1st. If you are a senior your final waiver is due June 1st. Please make a copy (or take a photo) of the waiver prior to turning it in. Completed forms go to your assigned counselor who will forward it on to the Principal for approval.  

    What activities count for a PE waiver?

    The activities must include regular practices, and some form of competition. Coach verification must be on letterhead. If you have questions or uncertainty about your particular activity being approved, please check with the Principal prior to starting your activity.

    What is the process for getting a waiver since PE courses won’t fit in my schedule?

    This would fall under the “category 6- Other Good Cause”. Students must have a full academic schedule – no Teachers Assistant courses, Early Dismissals or Late Arrivals – for all 4 years. Students can start to apply for this waiver beginning 2nd semester of 11th grade.

    What is the difference between a PE waiver and playing a Garfield sport?

    If playing a Garfield WIAA sanctioned sport student does not need to fill out the PE Waiver form. Garfield Coaches will verify that the student has participated for the entire season in practices and contests. At the end of the season, coaches will provide a list to the Athletics Director. Athletics Director will notify the Registrar of qualified students. The Registrar will then make the posting to the student’s transcript. No credit is awarded, but if approved, it will show on the student’s transcript as “HPE8205 PE W-DIR ATHLET P 0.00 0.00”

    If playing a club or recreational sport, students must submit a PE waiver form to their assigned Counselor. Coach verification must be on letterhead. If approved the Registrar will be notified. The Registrar will make the posting to the student's transcript. No credit is awarded, but if approved, it will show on the student's transcript as "HPE8205 PE W-DIR ATHLET P 0.00 0.00"


    How do I access my student's grades?
    Monitor your student's academic progress in real time by logging onto the Source at

    Do quarter grades go on my official transcript?

    No – only semester grades are reflected on the transcript.

    Graduation Requirements:

    How do I know what courses count as Occupational Education, Fine Arts, general Electives, etc.?

    The Course Description Guide (located on the Counseling Office - Course Registration page) will have grad determinations located at the beginning of the each course description.

    How do I know if I've met the State Testing Requirements?

    Please check with our Academic Intervention Specialist Erik Burnett

    Credit Retrieval:

    What are my options to make up courses that I didn't pass?

    There are several options for credit retrieval - Seattle Public Schools summer school program, online courses via Garfield's program (register with Ms. Alston), and Running Start (for 11th and 12th grade students). For specific questions  and information about these programs, please contact your assigned counselor.

    Running Start:

    What is the process for  Running Start sign ups and registration?

    See the Running Start webpage for directions.

    Where do I pick up a COMPASS Test fee waiver?

    The fee for taking the COMPASS Test is $19. If you are on Free-Reduced Meals, you are eligible to receive a fee waiver from your Counselor. You must provide a letter confirming your Free-Reduced Lunch meal status – please contact Nutrition Services at if you do not have a copy of your letter. 

    Transcripts & College Applications:

    What is the difference between an official and an unofficial transcript?

    Official transcripts are signed by the Principal, and sealed. Unofficial transcripts are simply copies of transcripts without an official signature or seal.

    How do I order an official transcript?

    Please go online to the District Ordering System.

    Special Instructions for Current Students or Former Students who graduated within the past 2 years. Only valid during School Closure.

    Athletes: Contact the GHS Athletics Director to upload your transcript to the NCAA portal.

    What is Common Application and what do I need to know about it?

    Common Application is an online college application portal that allows students to create an account in order to apply to multiple colleges at once (not all colleges are on Common Application). After creating a student account, the student should request their Counselor to fill out the Secondary School Report by entering the contact information for their respective Counselor (this is part of the application process on Common Application). Counselors will then upload 3 separate School Reports (Initial, Mid Year & Final) throughout the school year. These School Reports include transcripts and they will not need to be submitted separately by the student.

    For college applications, how do I know if I have to order a paper transcript or if I can send an official transcript electronically?

    For Common Application schools, the Counselors will send all transcripts on the students’ behalf – no need to send transcripts separately. For other schools, please check the Admission websites to determine if they will accept unofficial copies or if they require paper hard copies of official transcripts.

    Are Garfield GPA's weighted?

    No. We only use weighted GPA's to determine class ranking. Weighted GPA's are not published or sent to colleges.

    How do I find out my class ranking?

    Email your assigned counselor. 


    Please visit the Garfield Testing website or contact the following staff for questions.

    SBAC: Erik Burnett
    PSAT/SAT: Erik Burnett
    AP Testing: Tiffany Bigham


    The SAT is an assessment used by many colleges to evaluate applicants.  SAT scores are also used in evaluating merit-based scholarship applications. The SAT is offered at Garfield for all 11th grade students once per year (date varies), free of charge. No registration is necessary. For SAT test prep, please visit Khan Academy at: Go to the College Board website and create an account to retrieve and send test scores to colleges, as well as to register for other SAT test dates.

    AP Tests

    Advanced Placement exams are typically administered in May. Students do not have to take the specific AP course in order to be eligible to take AP exams. More information, including AP exam registration.  A College Board account is needed to access scores and send the scores to colleges. Please visit the College Board AP Exam website for more information. 


    The ACT is an assessment used by many colleges to evaluate applicants. ACT scores can also be used to evaluate merit-based scholarship application. Register, review, and plan for the ACT

    Comparing the SAT to the ACT

    Where do I get waivers for the ACT / SAT if I am on free/reduced meals?

    Please e-mail Ms. Tiffany Bigham, our College & Career Center Specialist, and attach your free/reduced meals verification letter. If you need a copy of your free/reduced meals letter, please contact Nutrition Services at 206-252-0675 or

    What is STAMP Language Testing and how do I register?

    Students register at:

    Seattle World School
    1698 E Union St
    Seattle, WA 98122

    More information for students and families 

    (there are brochures in 10 languages that you can download and print)