Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Running Start Memorandum of Understanding - District Form

    For all students: 2020-2021 yearbook photos are due 12/10. Linktree:
    For questions contact the yearbook staff at or Instagram @ghsarrow.

    For current 12th graders: For up-to-date information about graduation go to the Student Life Page

    For current 12th graders: Please sign up now for Financial Aid and read about the Washington College Grant. Applications are now open.

    How to apply for Financial Aid: 

    Washington College Grant:

    Mr. Willis is now open for Winter Registration

    Running Start Registration Directions:

    Returnee from Fall Quarter:

    1. E-mail Mr. Willis ( what classes you'd like to enroll in at the college.

    2. He will complete a signed form for you.

    3. You will take this form back to the college and finish your registration with the college. 

    New to Running Start:

    1. E-mail to Mr. Willis ( copies of your placement test results. (Placement tests are taken through the Testing Office of the college).
    2. In your e-mail also provide the following:
    • Student Name
    • Parent Name
    • Phone
    • E-mail
    • College ID#
    • Free/Reduced Lunch YES or NO; if yes provide him your confirmation letter from nutrition services:
    • Current Grade level
    • College attending
    • List of Winter classes you'd like to enroll in 

      3. He will complete a signed form for you.

      4. You will take this form back to the college and finish your registration with them. 

      5. Make sure you hit the college deadlines. Make sure you sign-up/attend any mandatory orientations they have.

    Additional Running Start Information:

    • You must be classified as an 11th grader by September 1st to participate in Running Start.

    • Be aware that it is your responsibility to stay informed.  Visit frequently this Running Start page or consider getting the Garfield App.

    • Courses taken spring quarter of your senior year do count towards your graduation requirements.  But be aware, since Running Start grades are not official before the graduation ceremony, you must meet your graduation requirements prior to spring quarter to participate in the ceremony.

    • At the end of each quarter, the college will send your transcript directly to Garfield. Our counselor and registrar will then work to put these grades on your Garfield transcript.

    • Colleges own their grades. If you have a dispute or issue with your college grade(s) go first to the instructor then to their department chair or Running Start counselor for help.

    • If a grade gets changed after the initial transcript has been sent, it is up to you to request an updated one be sent to Garfield.

    • As a Running Start student you will be maintaining two transcripts. A Seattle Public Schools transcript and a College transcript. Please note for the 2019/2020 academic school year, Seattle Public Schools changed their grading policies regarding incoming Running Start grades. Please be aware that your two transcripts during that year may not match. When applying to college, best practice remains to send out both your Seattle Public Schools transcript and your College transcript. It will be up to the receiving institution on what grade(s) they choose to accept.

    • Sign-ups for Running Start classes happens 3 times a year. (Fall/Winter/Spring)

    • If you are new to Seattle Public Schools, make sure you have an assignment to Garfield HS with a Student ID number before e-mailing Mr. Willis to complete your forms. For questions regarding your assignment contact Enrollment at 206.252.0760 or go to the District Enrollment website.

    Seattle Central College
    North Seattle College
    South Seattle College
    Bellevue College
    Highline College
    Everett College