Skip To ContentSkip To Content

    Garfield Community Partners
    At Garfield High School, we partner with various community organizations that provide important supports for our students and families. These organizations provide vital services and opportunities for our communities, including counseling, case management, mental health services, youth engagement, drug & alcohol prevention, mentoring, academic tutoring, culturally specific supports, etc.

    504 Coordinator
    Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a Federal civil rights law that is designed to help students who have a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. Please contact your school counselor to discuss the appropriateness of a 504.

    College & Career Info:
    • Stop by Rm 103 for College and Career resources.
    • Visit the College & Career Center web page for college and career information, along with enrichment opportunities.
    • Additional College and Career resources, along with Scholarship Information can be found at the College & Career Center web page.

    Thoughts about your life after high school
    Thoughts about your college search
    Advice on how — and whether — to go to college​

    • Applying to College
      • Start thinking about college early; your course selection, grade point average, involvement in activities at school and in the community, along with your scores on college entrance exams (SAT/ACT) are all factors that are considered by colleges in the application process.
      • Please be aware that in some cases colleges request your discipline information.
      • Each counselor will explain the process for supporting your application to colleges during your Junior Meeting and again during your Senior Meeting.
      • This can be a very complicated process so be sure to work closely with your counselor and be aware of application deadlines!
      • You will need to complete your application in a timely manner and as thoughtfully as possible.
      • You may need to request documents from the counseling office, teachers and counselors, depending on the schools that you are applying too. These could include Transcripts, School Profile and Secondary School Report, as well as Mid-Year and Final Reports.
        • Please try to give individuals working with you on your application at least two weeks to process your requests.
        • Not all schools require additional documents and not all students will want or need a letter of recommendation from their teachers.
        • If documents are required by colleges, they are confidential and considered part of your application.

    Grade Review Process:
    According to the School District policies, teachers have the academic freedom and independence in the classroom to grade students as they see fit. Here are the instructions on the procedure to file a Grade Review. Please see your counselor for a hard copy.

    • Step ONE: Talk with the teacher about your grade. See if the two of you can come up with a fair solution to resolve the matter.
    • Step TWO: Speak with the Department Chair if you and your teacher can’t come to a satisfactory resolution. Talking with the department chair is just to have a third party take a look at the evidence. The department chair may not be able to intervene.
    • Step THREE: Meet with the principal only if you can prove extreme discrimination or biased behavior in the grading process. You will receive a "P" grade if it has been determined that you were indeed discriminated against.

    Other Resources:

    • Teen Health Center (THC) - (206) 860-0480
    • School Nurse - Rebecca Dubin (206) 252-2277,
    • Teen Link - 1-866-TEENLINK (866) 833-6546 or (206) 461-4922. Teen Link is an anonymous confidential teen help line that is answered every evening by professionally trained youth. Teens are trained to talk with their peers about a wide variety of concerns, as well as refer callers to specialized agencies that can further address their needs.
    • Where to Turn for Teens - This booklet provides a wide variety of services to youth ranging from housing and food to counseling around mental health issues, teen parenting, substance abuse and LGBTQ issues.
    • 2-1-1 Community Information Line - 211 or (206) 461-3200
    • Crisis Clinic - Children's Crisis Outreach Response Team - (206) 461-3222 The Crisis Clinic is a 24 hour phone in help line. They are prepared to deal with all types of issues.
    • Child Protective (CPS) or Family Reconciliation Services (FRS) - (800) 609-8764 This one phone number can be used to report child abuse or to request assistance for a family that is struggling with family issues.Research and Data

    Research and Data:

    Public Health and Alcohol Use link (from Univ. of Illinois-Chicago) 

    *Considered a crisis situation in the United States, excessive drinking and binge drinking are problems that require serious attention. The detrimental effect it has on public safety is more than worthy of all the effort necessary to not only reduce it but eradicate it. More significant are the innocent lives that are impacted. This devastating impact ranges from financial cost, physical injuries and rehabilitation, and many times, fatalities. To learn more, click here