As a diverse learning community of students, families, and professional educators, we respect both our differences and similarities in race, ethnicity, culture, language, religion, ideology, life choices, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, physical and mental differences, gender, age, appearance, and marital status. As Garfield Bulldogs we, the students, staff and families, work toward:
- A climate of trust and respect; these are essential for an effective learning environment.
- High standards and expectations for all students, with provisions for their individual learning styles.
- Creating and promoting a positive environment for all to understand that doing so is everybody's responsibility.
- Assuming personal responsibility for achieving our school's educational culture of student achievement.
Our Mission and Vision
One Garfield is a community of learners who recognize the history of our institution and the power of its vision and voice to encourage critical thinking and compassion as a means of creating future leaders. We are committed to growing diverse leaders who understand how to work together to create positive change in our school and in our communities.
In order to reach our vision, we will:
- Encourage healthy dialogue and inquiry about race and equity
- Build a foundation of collaboration, shared leadership, trust and safety.
- Deepen our relationships with one another and with our students.
- Encourage (foster) and expand the role of youth voice and leadership in decision-making and creating change.
- Help students to identify their unique gifts and the belief that they can reach their dreams.
- Create pathways for all students to be successful.
Our Transformation Goals
Staff members worked together to formulate the following:
- Enhance staff collaboration, trust and mutual support within the contract day.
- Implement targeted teaching and learning strategies to eliminate disproportionality in student achievement in the areas of reading, writing and math.
- Develop staff skills (i.e., teaching techniques and learning strategies) across the curriculum in reading, writing and math.
- Create personalized education and smaller learning communities for all students.
- Coordinate parent engagement and community support for Garfield.